Position: junior researcher
Branch: Department of Biodiversity Research
Workplace: ÚVGZ AV ČR, v.v.i.Prokišova 356/7České Budějovice370 01
Populační biologie a ekologie orchidejí Nepálu
- Ph.D. (2006-2011): “Diversity, distribution and Conservation of Medicinal plants in Nepal”, Department of Ecology, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic (Supervisor: Dr. Zuzana Münzbergová).
- M.Sc. in Botany (1999-2001): “Ethnoecology of Medicinal Plants in Dho-Tarap Area in Buffer Zone of Shey Phoksundo National Park, Dolpa, Nepal”, Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Tribhuvan University, Nepal (Supervised: Dr. Suresh Kurmar Ghimire).
- Since 2008 – Department of Population Ecology, Institute of Botany, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- Since 2012- Czech Globe, Academy of Sciences in Czech Republic
- 2016 Global Change Research Institute CAS
Important research visits and fellowships
- 2012 PopBio 2012: Revisiting important questions and defining new horizons, Zurich (Poster).
- 2011 Basic and applied plant Population Biology Oxford, 2-4 June 2010 (Poster).
- 2010 Plant Population Biology Crossing Borders Nijmegen, 13-15 May 2010 (Poster).
- 2009 Plant Population Biology in a changing world Bern, 21-24 May 2009 (Paper).
- 2008 Plant Population Biology for the coming decade. Population Biology for the coming decade Luxembourg, 1-3 May (Poster).
- 2005 Biodiversity Conservation in Asia: Current Status and Future Perspectives; Asia Section – 1st Regional Conference, The Society for Conservation Biology, 17- 20 November 2005, (Talk).
- 2005 Third National Botanical conference: Conservation and Utilization of Plant Wealth of Nepal and 14th Annual General Meeting: May 12-13, 2005, Kathmandu, Nepal (Talk).
- 2004 Fourth conference on Science and Technology: A National Workshop, March 21-24, 2004, Kathmandu, Nepal (Talk).
- 2004 National Seminar on Natural Resource Management: February 13-14, 2004. Biratnagar, Nepal (Poster)
- 2002 Wise Practices and Experiential Learning in the Conservation and Management of Himalayan Medicinal Plants: A Regional Workshop, December 15-20, 2002, Kathmandu, Nepal (Poster)
- 2002 National Seminar on Recent Advances in Plant Science (RAPs), March 17-18, 2004, Birgunj, Nepal (Poster)
- 2001 Ethnobotanical Research & Laboratory Field Methods: A National Training Workshop, December 24-28, 2001, Kathmandu, Nepal (Participant)
- 2001 Community Based Approaches to Conservation of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants: A National Conference in Applied Ethnobotany, October 9-12, 2001, Pokhara, Nepal (Participant)
- 2007. Conservation Biology.
- 2007. Course of Scientific Writing.
- 2008. Methods in allozyme analyses.
- 2008/09. Methods in population biology, Matrix modeling.
- 2010. Pollination Biology.
- 2010. Statistical analytical methods.
Papers in international peer-reviewed journals with IF
Timsina B, Kindlmann P, Rokaya MB, Vrchotová N, Tříska J, Horník Š, Sýkora J. (2018) Xanthones Content in Swertia multicaulis D. Don from Nepal. Molecules, 3;23(5), pii: E1067. doi: 10.3390/molecules23051067
Dostálek T., Rokaya M.B., Münzbergová Z. (2018) Altitude, habitat type and herbivore damage interact in their effects on plant population dynamics. PLoS ONE, 13(12): e0209149. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209149
Uprety, Y., Shrestha, U.B., Rokaya, M.B. et al. Perceptions of climate change by highland communities in the Nepal Himalaya. Climate and Development, 2017, 1-13, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17565529.2017.1304886.
Rokaya, M.B.; Münzbergová, Z. & Dostálek, T. Sustainable harvesting strategy of medicinal plant species in Nepal – results of a six-year study. Folia Geobotanica, 2017, 1-14, doi:10.1007/s12224-017-9287-y.
Adhikari, Y.P.; Fischer; A., Fischer, H.S.; Rokaya, M.B.; Bhattarai, P. Diversity, composition and host-species relationships of epiphytic orchids and ferns in two forests in Nepal. Journal of Mountain Science, 2017, 14: 1065. doi:10.1007/s11629-016-4194-x .
Sigdel, S.R.; Rokaya, M.B.; Münzbergová, Z.; Liang, E. Habitat Ecology of Ophiocordyceps sinensis in Western Nepal. Mountain Research and Development, 2017, 37 (2), 216-223.
Basnet TB, Rokaya MB, Bhattarai BP, Münzbergová Z (2016) Heterogeneous Landscapes on Steep Slopes at Low Altitudes as Hotspots of Bird Diversity in a Hilly Region of Nepal in the Central Himalayas. PLoS ONE 11(3): e0150498. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0150498
Dostálek T., Rokaya M.B., Maršík P., Rezek J., Skuhrovec J., Pavela R, Münzbergová Z. (2016) Trade-off among different anti-herbivore defence strategies along an altitudinal gradient. AoB Plants 8:plw026. doi: 10.1093/aobpla/plw026.
Rokaya M.B., Dostálek T., Münzbergová Z. 2016. Plant-herbivore interactions along elevational gradient: Comparison of field and common garden data. Acta Oecologica 77: 168-175.
Timsina, B.; Rokaya, M. B.; Münzbergová, Z.; Kindlmann, P.; Shrestha, B.; Bhattarai, B. & Raskoti, B. B. Diversity, distribution and host-species associations of epiphytic orchids in Nepal. Biodiversity and Conservation, 2016, 25, 2803-2819.
Rokaya M.B., Timsina B., Münzbergová Z. 2012. Effect of light, temperature and seed mass on germination of two species of the Himalayan rhubarb. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 6(37): 5032-5037. DOI: 10.5897/JMPR11.1419.
Rokaya M.B., Timsina B., Münzbergová Z., Bhattarai, K.R. 2012. Rheum australe D. Don: A review of its botany, ethnobotany, phytochemistry and pharmacology. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 141: 761-774.
Rokaya M.B., Münzbergová Z., Shrestha M.R., Timsina B. 2012. Distribution Patterns of Medicinal Plants along an Elevational Gradient in Central Himalaya, Nepal. Journal of Mountain Science 9: 201-213.
Rokaya, M.B., Marsik, P., Münzbergová, Z. 2011. Active constituents in Rheum acuminatum and Rheum australe (Polygonaceae) roots: A variation between cultivated and naturally growing plants. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 41: 83-90.
Timsina B., Shrestha B.B, Rokaya M.B., Münzbergová Z. 2011. Impact of Parthenium hysterophorus L. invasion on plant species composition and soil properties of grassland communities in Nepal. Flora 206: 233–240.
Rokaya M.B., Münzbergová Z., Timsina B. 2010. Ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants from the Humla district of western Nepal. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 130: 485–504.
Sigdel S.R., Rokaya M.B. 2011. Utilization of plant resources in Dang district, West Nepal. Banko Janakari 21: 45-52.
Acharya K.P., Rokaya M.B. 2010. Medicinal Orchids of Nepal: Are They Well Protected? Our Nature 8: 82-91.
Rokaya M.B. 2006. Systematics of Nepalese Genus Clerodendrum L., Botanica Orientalis, 5.
Shrestha M.R., Rokaya M.B., Ghimire S. K. 2006. Checklist of trans-Himalayan dicot flora of northwest Nepal: Dolpo and its surroundings. Scientific World: 4: 84-95.
Rokaya M.B., Shrestha M. R., Ghimire S. K. 2005. Ethnoecology of natural environment in trans-Himalayan region of west Nepal. Banko Jankari 15: 33-38.
Shrestha M.R., Rokaya M.B., Ghimire, S.K. 2005. Vegetation patterns of trans-Himalayan zone in the north west Nepal. Nepal Journal of Plant Sciences 1: 129-135.
Acharya K.P., Rokaya M.B. 2005. Ethnobotanical survey of medicinal plants traded in the streets of Kathmandu valley. Scientific world 3: 44-48.
Rokaya M.B., Ghimire S.K. 2004. Vegetation analysis of medicinal plants in Dho-Tarap area of upper Dolpo, mid-western Nepal. Botanica Orientalis 4:46-50.
Rokaya M.B., Ghimire, S.K. 2003. Phytogeography of medicinal plants in Dho-Tarap area in upper Dolpo, Botanica Orientalis 3: 128-132.
Rokaya M.B., Ghimire S.K. 2006. Ethnobotany and conservation status of highly used medicinal plants in Dho-Tarap, upper Dolpa, west Nepal. Proceeding of fourth conference on Science and Technology, pp. 752-760.
Rokaya M.B., Kurungang N., Ghimire S.K. 2005. Local use and conservation status of medicinal plants in upper Dolpo, Nepal. In: Himalayan medicinal and Aromatic plants, Balancing use and Conservation. pp. 511-513.