Position: Visiting senior researcher
Branch: Department of Climate Change Impacts on Agroecosystems
Workplace: ÚVGZ AV ČR, v. v. i.Bělidla 4aBrno603 00
- Operationalising the ecosystem service concept with a variety of policy and practice stakeholders.
- Exploring how biodiversity underpins ecosystem service provision at different spatial scales.
- Different techniques for mapping and modelling natural capital and ecosystem services.
- Studying different arguments for biodiversity conservation and how they interact with arguments for ecosystem service provision.
- Development and application of mathematical models for investigating climate change impacts and adaptation options for agriculture, biodiversity and ecosystem services.
- Integration of biophysical and socio-economic concepts, frameworks and models for finding innovative solutions for adapting to climate change across socio-ecological systems.
- Development of integrated assessment techniques which take account of interactions and feedbacks between different sectors such as biodiversity, agriculture, forestry, water, coasts and urban under multiple climate and socio-economic drivers.
- Participatory scenario development and its integration with stakeholder-led climate change vulnerability and adaptation assessment.
- Improved quantification of impacts, risks and uncertainties associated with high-end climate change scenarios along with consideration of synergies between adaptation and mitigation.
- 1999 DPhil, University of Oxford, Thesis on modelling climate change impacts on agriculture in Europe.
- 1990 MSc, Operational Research, University of Lancaster, Programming and statistical techniques for quantifying optimal solutions to problems
- 1989 BSc (Jt. Hons) II.i, Statistics and Geography, University of Salford, Statistics, mathematics, operational research, computer science, programming, environmental science, climatology, agriculture, geomorphology, spatial analysis
- 2016 – present Principal Natural Capital Scientist. Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, Lancaster, UK
- 1999 – 2016 Senior Research Fellow. Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford
- 1999 Visiting Researcher. International Global Change Institute, University of Waikato, New Zealand (Sabbatical)
- 1993 – 1998 Research Scientist and Project Manager, Environmental Change Unit, University of Oxford
- 1991 – 1993 Research Scientist. Environmental Change Unit, University of Oxford
- 1990 – 1991 Research Assistant. Atmospheric Impacts Research Group, University of Birmingham
- Coordinating Lead Author for the IPBES regional assessment on Europe and Central Asia
- Coordinating Lead Author for the UK National Ecosystem Assessment Follow-on Project (2012-2014)
- Contributing Author to the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (2013-2014)
- Member of the Science Development Group for the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, UK
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the Swedish “Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services in a Changing Climate” Strategic Research Area (BECC)
- Member of the Advisory Group for the European Environment Agency’s 2016 Report on Climate Change Impacts and Vulnerability
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the EU BASE Project (Bottom-up climate adaptation strategies for Europe)
- Chair of the Scientific Advisory Broad and Organising Committee for the “2017 European Climate Change Adaptation Conference (ECCA 2017)”
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the “2015 European Climate Change Adaptation Conference (ECCA 2015)”
- Member of the Expert Advisory Group for the DG ENV MESEU Project (Mapping of Ecosystems and their Services in the EU and its Member States) (2012-2014)
- Member of the Organising Committee and International Scientific Board for the “2013 European Climate Change Adaptation Conference (ECCA 2013)” (2011-2013)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the Countryside Survey Integrated Assessment Topic Group (CS-IATG) (2008-2010)
Web of science listed peer-reviewed papers (06/16): 43;
Total citations: 1313 (1232 without self-citations).